This Japanese Iced Tea recipe is a refreshing cocktail recipe with a sweet melon liqueur and fresh lime juice. A spin on the classic Long Island Iced Tea this easy tokyo tea recipe is sure to make it onto your cocktail favorites list.
What is Japanese Iced Tea cocktail
This refreshing green cocktail is a twist on a Long Island Iced Tea made from a melon liqueur that is native to Japan. It's an easy to make cocktail recipe with a combination of sweet and sour flavors. With 6 spirits, this cocktail recipe is sure to be a hit at any cocktail party.
The exact origin of the Tokyo Iced Tea is uncertain, but it is thought to have been created in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The drink is popular for its refreshing taste and is often enjoyed during the summer months. The ingredients and proportions can be adjusted to suit personal taste, making it a versatile and adaptable cocktail.
What Is In Tokyo Iced Tea
- Midori (Japanese Melon Liqueur)
- White Rum
- Triple Sec
- Lime Juice
- Simple Syrup
- Soda Water
What is Midori?
Midori is a Japanese melon-flavored liqueur. Midori is typically used in cocktails, most notably in the Midori Margarita. The liqueur has a bright green color and is made from muskmelons, which give it a sweet and slightly fruity flavor.
Midori is usually combined with other ingredients such as tequila, triple sec, and lime juice to create a variety of cocktails.
Read our post on the 10 most delicious Midori cocktail recipes.
Cocktails Often Made with Midori:
- Midori Margarita: A classic margarita made with tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and Midori.
- Midori Sour: A sweet and sour cocktail made with Midori, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Tokyo Iced Tea: A long drink made with vodka, gin, rum, tequila, triple sec, Midori, lemon juice, and cola.
- Midori Martini: A martini made with gin or vodka, Midori, and lemon juice.
- Midori Colada: A tropical cocktail made with Midori, pineapple juice, and coconut cream.
- Midori Illusion: A fruity cocktail made with Midori, lemon juice, triple sec, and pineapple juice.
- Midori Fizz: A fizzy cocktail made with Midori, lemon juice, and soda water.
- Midori Mule: A variation of the classic Moscow Mule made with Midori, ginger beer, and lime juice.
Midori - Although Midori is definitely what sets this Japanese Iced Tea cocktail apart from the rest. Potter's Melon Liqueur is another option.
Lime Juice - Freshly squeezed lemon juice does the trick as well.
Soda Water - Add a little extra sweetness by using lemonade or 7up instead.
Vodka - Double up on Gin if you don't have vodka at home.
How To Make Simple Syrup For Cocktails
Simple syrup is a staple to make delicious sweet cocktails. Simple syrup is often used in mojitos, Long Island Iced Teas and many others.
To make a simple syrup you only need two ingredients. Sugar and water.
To make a simple syrup add equal parts sugar and water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
Reduce the heat and allow the syrup mixture to simmer for only a few minutes, only until the sugar has dissolved. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and you're done! Simple right?
How To Make Japanese Iced Tea
Although this cocktail may appear to have many ingredients, with its 6 spirits. It is still an incredibly easy cocktail recipe.
To make this Tokyo Tea cocktail recipe simply pour all your ingredients into a cocktail shaker or straight into your glass. Pour the cocktail over ice and top with soda water. That's it!
Expert Tips For Making The Best Tokyo Iced Tea
Use good quality spirits: Using high-quality spirits is essential for making a great Tokyo Iced Tea. Choose premium vodka, gin, rum, tequila, and triple sec.
Use freshly squeezed lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice gives the drink a brighter, fresher taste compared to bottled juice.
Balance the ingredients: The key to a great Tokyo Iced Tea is finding the right balance of sweetness, sourness, and alcohol. Adjust the amounts of Midori, lemon juice, and cola to your liking.
Chill the ingredients: Make sure to chill the spirits and other ingredients in the refrigerator before making the cocktail. This will ensure a colder, more refreshing drink.
Use clear ice: Clear ice looks better in the drink and melts more slowly, which helps to keep it chilled for longer.
Stir gently: Stirring the drink too much can cause it to become diluted, so be gentle when mixing the ingredients.
Experiment with different colas: Try using different colas, such as lemon-lime or ginger, to add an extra twist to your Tokyo Iced Tea.
Tokyo Tea is a Japanese twist on a Long Island Iced Tea made using a Japanese liqueur called Midori. Midori is a bright green melon liqueur that is manufactured in Japan.
Although Midori is definitely a must when making Japanese Iced Tea, there are a few other liqueurs that may have a similar taste. Bols Melon, De Kuyper and Potter's Melon Liqueur are a few options.
More Cocktail Recipes To Try
- Pineapple Gin & Ginger Beer Cocktail
- Limoncello Spritz
- Fig & Thyme Gin Cocktail
- Blueberry Gin Cocktail
- Pink Grapefruit Gin Cocktail with Rose Water
Japanese Iced Tea
A refreshing sweet melon cocktail with 6 spirits. A delicious twist on the classic Long Island Iced Tea.
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce Midori Liqueur
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- Soda water, to top
- Lime slices, for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients (except the soda water) in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill two glasses with ice and divide the mixture between the two glasses.
- Top with soda water and garnish.
* Add extra simple syrup if you prefer a sweeter cocktail.
* Add cherries to your garnish for a more classic look.
Leave a Reply