This simple and classic pie is an absolute keeper! It has a sweet, flakey pastry with a delicious, juicy filling. If that doesn't sound like pie perfection I don't what does!?
Ever wake up and need a warm, delicious blueberry pie? Or is that just something that happens to me?? Well, this is how The Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie was born. I woke up one morning and decided to give in to this craving of mine and perfect this classic dessert. And let me tell you, I have zero regrets!
I think having a great go-to pie recipe is something everyone needs. I love knowing I can whip up something quickly and easily that will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser. This Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie is exactly that and it never disappoints!
I call this pie the The Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie for many reasons. I love that it can be made and enjoyed anytime of year. Both fresh or frozen blueberries work perfectly. It can be served with creamy custard in the chilly months and with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream in the hot ones!
Another reason why I consider this The Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie is because the top of the pie can change depending on how much time you have. It can be a full crust or a latticed one, it can use cutouts or braids, or it can be a fun, creative combo. Top tip is to finish your pie top off with a brush of egg wash and a sprinkling of sugar. It makes your baked pie super glossy and gorgeous! I highly recommend Kitchen Inspire's beautiful Pastry Brush for this - it gets the job done perfectly!
This pie is everything you want a pie to be: fruity, juicy, buttery, flakey, sweet, and versatile. It's The Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie. Let me know if you agree on my Instagram 🙂 Want more Pie? Check out my Pear & Salted Caramel Pie. You won't be sorry, I promise!
The Perfect Lemon & Blueberry Pie
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp oil
- ½ cup butter cold and cubed
- ½ cup ice water approximately
- 5 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, and stir until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add cubed butter and toss in the flour mixture to coat.
- Pour in ice water a tablespoon at a time, mixing until the mixture comes together and can hold it’s shape.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Roll out dough 5cm larger than your pie dish diameter. Reserve some for pie topping.
- Place rolled out dough into a pie dish and prick with a fork.
- Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Toss together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Pour the filling into the refrigerated pie crust.
- Dot with butter, and refrigerate while pie topping is prepared.
- Roll reserved pie dough out to about 2 cm wider than the pie pan.
- Cut into strips and arrange in a lattice pattern over the filled pie.
- Trim excess strips of dough & crimp the edge.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 220ºC and then lower the oven temperature to 180ºC and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until evenly browned.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.