An Easy Strawberry Blueberry Pie with sweet, flakey pastry and a delicious, juicy mixed berry filling. A simple and tasty summer dessert that can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries and strawberries.
If you are looking for a classic blueberry pie recipe, check out my Easy Blueberry Pie!
Blueberry & Strawberry Pie Recipe
A delicious celebration of strawberries and blueberries! This pie is full of berry flavor that is combined with a rich buttery crust.
It is so easy to make this pie using simple, pantry-staple ingredients. And if you want to have it ready in minutes you could use a store bought crust. Although, I always think Homemade Pie Crusts are better!
I love that this blueberry and strawberry pie can be made and enjoyed anytime of the year. Both fresh or frozen blueberries work perfectly to make this pie. And it can be served with creamy custard in the chilly months and then with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream in the hot ones!
- Blueberries and strawberries. You can use fresh or frozen berries for this pie. If you use frozen berries, add an extra teaspoon of cornstarch as they will give off more liquid.
- Granulated sugar. To add a touch of sweetness to balance the tart berries. You can adjust the amount according to the sweetness of your berries. You can also substitute with coconut sugar or xylitol.
- Cornstarch. This helps to thicken up the berry filling.
- Lemon zest. Add some zesty lemon flavor that enhances the taste of the pie.
- Butter. Adds some richness to the filling.
- Pie crust. You can use reaady-made or homemade pie crusts. You can find lots of helpful tips and tricks, along with a recipe, on my Easy Homemade Pie Crust post.
How to Make a Classic Strawberry Blueberry Pie
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the blueberries, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest. Set aside.
Roll out the pie dough 5cm larger than your pie dish diameter. Place rolled out dough into the pie dish and prick with a fork. Reserve the remaining dough for topping the pie.
For an easy pie crust recipe - check out my Easy Homemade Pie Crust
Pour the prepared berry filling into the pie crust. Dot with butter, and refrigerate while pie topping is prepared.
Roll reserved pie dough out to 5mm thick. Cut into strips and arrange in a lattice pattern over the pie. Trim any excess strips of dough & crimp the edge. Brush with a beaten egg if desired. This adds a shine and golden color to the crust.
Bake for 20 minutes at 220ºC and then lower the oven temperature to 180ºC and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until evenly browned.
Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
If serving this pie during the cold months, serve a warm slice of pie with vanilla custard.
If serving this pie in warm months, top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
You can also enjoy this pie as is and it is then best served at room temperature.
Recipe tips and notes
- Throughout the process, you want the pie dough to stay as cold as possible. This is what ensures a delicious flaky crust when baked.
- When adding the strawberry and blueberry filling to the pie crust, avoid adding too much of the liquid as this can make the pie have a soggy bottom.
- Let the pie cool fully before slicing. This helps the filling to thicken up and be the perfect consistency and temperature.
The baked pie can be kept at room temperature for 1 - 2 days.
To store it for longer, cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate. If refrigerated, the blueberry pie will keep for 5 - 7 days. Bring the pie to room temperature or warm it in the oven before serving.
Easy Strawberry Blueberry Pie
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp oil
- ½ cup butter cold and cubed
- ½ cup ice water approximately
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp butter cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, and stir until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add cubed butter and toss in the flour mixture to coat.
- Pour in ice water a tablespoon at a time, mixing until the mixture comes together and can hold it’s shape.
- Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
- Roll out dough 5cm larger than your pie dish diameter. Reserve some for pie topping.
- Place rolled out dough into a pie dish and prick with a fork.
- Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- Toss together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Pour the filling into the refrigerated pie crust.
- Dot with butter, and refrigerate while pie topping is prepared.
- Roll reserved pie dough out to about 2 cm wider than the pie pan.
- Cut into strips and arrange in a lattice pattern over the filled pie.
- Trim excess strips of dough & crimp the edge.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 220ºC and then lower the oven temperature to 180ºC and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until evenly browned.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
MORE PIE RECIPES TO TRY:
- Caramel Brown Butter Apple Pie
- Gooey Flourless Chocolate Brownie Pie
- Pear and Salted Caramel Pie
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie
This post was made in collaboration with Kitchen Inspire.