A simple and striking Purple Rain Drink is a fun and fruity vodka cocktail. It is an easy drink recipe to make at home with just a few tasty ingredients!
So what is a Purple Rain Drink?
A Purple Rain Drink is a vodka-based cocktail that is purple in color and fruity in flavor. It is a variation of Long Island Iced Tea with a tropical taste from the fruit-based ingredients.
The beautiful purple hue of this drink comes from the combination of Blue Curacao and Grenadine which is red in color. Both these ingredients are popular additions to tropical cocktails due to their fruity flavor and bright colors.
The name of this cocktail is inspired by the musician Prince. He impressed the world with his iconic purple outfits and equally iconic music. Purple Rain is the name of his 6th studio album and the film in which he starred as a character based on himself.
Why you'll love this vodka drink
- Fun and versatile. The tropical drink flavors are perfect for summertime cocktail drinking but it is also a great option for Halloween parties.
- Simple recipe. Easy to make with just four vibrant ingredients.
- Great for a crowd. Perfect to make in a large batch to easily serve at your next party. It’s a shaken drink with no ice so it will last a long time without dilution.
- Sparkly and tasty. This is a flavorful drink that is refreshing and has just the right amount of bubbles from the sparkling lemonade.
Looking for a simple mixed vodka drink? Why not try out a VODKA AND COKE!
What is in a Purple Rain Drink?
You will need just four ingredients to make this simple and vibrant cocktail. The ingredients are listed below and you can find a detailed recipe card at the end of this post!
- Blue Curacao. A delicious orange liqueur that is slightly tart. It’s made from Laraha orange peels and has added spices and alcohol for a distinct flavor.
- Vodka. Vodka is composed mainly of water and ethanol and is neutral in flavor. Therefore, you can use any vodka you like to make this recipe.
- Grenadine. Grenadine is a commonly used nonalcoholic syrup known for its deep red color and fruity pomegranate flavor that is both sweet and tart. You can use store-bought or homemade for this recipe!
- Lemonade. A sparkling lemonade tops off this drink and you can use any kind you like best. A lemon-lime soda would also work well too!
This is a striking drink all on its own, but I like to add a garnish to make it even more special and celebratory. This is entirely optional as this drink is beautiful and delicious as is - but if you would like to garnish your cocktail you can find some inspiration below:
- Lime wedge or wheel
- Lemon wedge or wheel
- Purple sugar to rim the glass
- A cocktail cherries
- Edible flowers
- Cocktail umbrella
How to Make a Purple Rain Drink
This Purple Rain cocktail only takes a few minutes to create and no fancy bar equipment is needed to make it. You can follow the step-by-step instructions below, or you can find a detailed recipe card at the end of this post.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice.
Measure out and add the vodka, Blue Curacao, and grenadine to the cocktail shaker.
Seal and shake for about 30 - 60 seconds, or until it is very cold.
Pour the cold cocktail into a serving glass. Top with sparkling lemonade.
Add a garnish if desired and serve immediately.
It is easy to make and serve this cocktail in a pitcher when catering to a crowd. Simply add the vodka, Blue Curacao, and grenadine to a large pitcher according to how many servings you desire. Mix together and then top with lemon-lime soda or sparkling lemonade. Allow to chill in the fridge or serve over ice.
When to serve Purple Rain Drinks
- This refreshing drink is a perfect summertime cocktail for slow-sipping
- It is a fun and boozy option for happy-hour drinks
- A great dinner party drink option - see pitcher-style recipe variation!
- Late-night summer evening drink
- Guys' or girls' night drinks
- Halloween parties
CAN YOU MAKE A PURPLE RAIN COCKTAIL IN ADVANCE?
Yes, you can prepare this drink ahead of time if hosting an event. Simply mix the booze and grenadine together and then store it in the fridge for as long as needed. When you are ready to serve, top the cocktail with lemonade and enjoy.
MORE VODKA DRINKS RECIPES TO TRY
Purple Rain Drink
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 1 serving glass
- 1.5 ounce plain vodka
- 1.5 ounce blue caracao
- 1 ounce grenadine
- 2 ounce sparkling lemonade or lemon-lime soda
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Measure out and add the vodka, Blue Curacao, and grenadine to the cocktail shaker.
- Seal and shake for about 30 - 60 seconds, or until it is very cold.
- Pour the cold cocktail into a serving glass. Top with sparkling lemonade.
- Add a garnish if desired and serve immediately.