This easy Creamy Panna Cotta Tart is an easy Italian dessert recipe that is delicious and versatile. The smooth, thick, and creamy vanilla filling with a spicy ginger crust is topped with fresh strawberries and peaches to make the ultimate dessert.
Vanilla Panna Cotta Tart Recipe
Panna Cotta is easy to make, yet looks very impressive. This makes it a great dessert option for special occasions and entertaining family and friends. The flavors and texture of panna cotta are soft and creamy, which is why it is so delicious when paired with a spicy crust and fresh fruit. This panna cotta recipe is simple and sophisticated. It makes for a great light Summer dessert that everyone will love
What is Panna Cotta?
Panna Cotta is a classic Italian no-bake dessert. It is a cream-based dessert that can be served and flavored in various ways. 'Panna cotta' means "cooked cream". Panna cotta uses gelatin as a thickening agent and it requires no baking.
Check out my Mango Panna Cotta recipe for a tropical twist on the classic dessert.
Ingredients you will need to make homemade panna cotta
This simple panna cotta recipe uses pantry-staple ingredients that are easy to find and use. The toppings of this tart can also be changed according to your preferences and/or availability.
- Ginger biscuits and melted butter. This makes the perfect spicy crust for the panna cotta tart.
- Whipping cream and cold whole milk. Creams and milks that are lower in fat will not set as well so it best to use whipping cream and whole milk for this recipe.
- Powdered gelatin. This is what sets the tart to a perfect "sliceable" texture.
- White sugar. To add some sweetness to the tart.
- Vanilla extract. Adds a delicious sweet flavor to the panna cotta. Use the best vanilla extract you can!
- Toppings. I used fresh strawberries, peach slices, mint leaves. But you can use whichever fresh fruit you prefer.
How To Make Creamy Panna Cotta Tart
This easy Panna Cotta recipe is incredibly simple to make and is an impressive and delicious dessert for a special occasion. It is quick to make this panna cotta but it does require a few hours of refrigeration to set up before serving. To make this Panna Cotta:
- Make the crust. In a mixing bowl, mix together the crushed ginger biscuits and melted butter until fully combined.
- Refrigerate. Press the biscuits mixture into the bottom of a tart pan and place the pan in the fridge while the filling is made.
- Prepare the gelatin. Pour the cold milk in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over and set aside to bloom.
- Heat the cream and sugar. Pour the cream and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Combine the cream and gelatin. Once the cream starts to boil, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the bloomed gelatin and vanilla extract.
- Fill the crust. Allow the cream mixture to cool slightly before gently pouring over the crust, about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate. Place the tart into a fridege and refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving. The tart can be made the day before and left in the fridge to set overnight.
- Serve. Decorate the top of the tart with fresh fruits and mint before slicing and serving.
What does panna cotta taste like?
Panna cotta is a simple, classic dessert that has a smooth, creamy texture and a sweet, milky taste. Classically made with vanilla which enhances its sweet, creamy taste. This no-bake dessert is made with a few simple ingredients that all play an important role in its texture and taste.
There are many different variations available of this classic dessert, with recipes flavoring the cream filling or adding various toppings to it. This will of course alter the taste of the panna cotta which makes it a very versatile dessert.
How many days ahead can I make panna cotta?
Panna cotta is a great make-ahead dessert! You can prepare this panna cotta in advance and add the toppings when ready to serve. A panna cotta can be made up to three days ahead and then kept in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Panna cotta will actually keep for longer in the fridge, but for the best flavor, serving it within three days is best.
More delicious dessert recipes to try:
- 2 cups ginger biscuits, crushed
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups cream
- ¼ cup cold milk
- 2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh strawberries
- peach slices
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed ginger biscuits and melted butter until fully combined.
- Press the biscuits mixture into the bottom of the tart pan and place the pan in the fridge.
- Place the cold milk in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the cold milk and set aside.
- Meanwhile, pour the cream and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once the cream starts to boil, remove from the heat and stir in the bloomed gelatin and vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool slightly then gently pour the filling over the crust and refrigerate overnight.
- Decorate with fresh fruits and mint.
This post was made in collaboration with Dairy Gives You Go.