Refreshing Mango Panna cotta - A simple, beautiful dessert that tastes like summer in a glass.
This week is my boyfriend's birthday, and every year it gives me a little stress because I always feel like I have to outdo the previous years. Not only when it comes to gifts (I got him brand new beautiful Running Shoes) but also when it comes to the actual day.
Neither of us is very fond of large parties, so we always try to find something else to do on our birthdays. We have done things like going to a theme park, attending a concert or something a little out of the ordinary.
This year though I am completely out of ideas. It feels like we have pretty much done everything in and around our area (within our budget at least). So I am truly struggling to come up with something creative that he will truly enjoy and that will make his day special. One of the things I have planned is to make a delicious meal with a few of his favourite things and this absolutely delicious Refreshing Mango Panna Cotta.
Why you'll love this panna cotta recipe
This Refreshing Mango Panna Cotta is simply perfect, the smooth panna cotta layer is perfectly balanced with the naturally sweet mango layer. Mmmm... yum!
What I love about panna cotta is how it is almost not sweet at all, but simply delicate and creamy. And then balancing it out with a beautiful fruit like mango is pure perfection.
I love the combination of the creaminess with the fruit, it is similar to the Vegan Passionfruit Panna Cotta and the Vanilla Raspberry Panna Cotta (which by the way is still one of the top recipes here on Baking-Ginger) but instead of the almost tangy flavours of the passionfruit or raspberry, it has that sweet tropical flavour from the mango.
Refreshing Mango Panna Cotta not only tastes delicious, but it always looks beautiful and will pretty much impress anybody. Because it looks fancy without having to do tons of effort or having mad pastry skills ;).
I hope you love this Refreshing Mango Panna Cotta recipe as much as I do. And if you want to see more of my food adventures, follow me on Instagram or Facebook.
Refreshing Mango Panna cotta
For the Mango Layer
- 2 Medium Mango's peeled and chopped
- 4 Gelatin Leaves
- Cold Water
For the Panna Cotta
- 2 Sheets/leaves of Gelatin
- 60 g Castor Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 2 Cups Cream
- Cold Water
For the Mango Layer:
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for about 20min.
- Then squeeze out all the water and dissolve the gelatin in a bowl over simmering water.
- Meanwhile, place the mango chunks in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the melted gelatin to the blender and blend until well incorporated.
- Pour the mango mixture into 4-6 glasses and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
For the Panna Cotta:
- Place gelatin sheets in a bowl with the cold water and allow to sit for 5-10min.
- Meanwile, mix together the cream,sugar and vanilla (seeds scraped from the pod) in a saucepan and allow to simmer.
- Remove the gelatin from the water, squeezing out any excess water.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat and stir in the gelatin until dissolved and mixed in properly.
- Allow the cream mixture to cool slightly, then pour over the mango layer.
- Place glasses in fridge for at least another 2 hours.
- Top with fresh mango chunks.