Made with cocoa powder, bananas, and almond butter, this easy smoothie is thick, creamy, and protein-packed. This vegan Chocolate Almond Protein Smoothie is great as a filling breakfast or sweet afternoon treat.
I love this simple smoothie recipe! It’s so easy to make and incredibly delicious. Who doesn't want a healthy smoothie that tastes like dessert?! It is often my go-to afternoon snack because it is full of protein which keeps me full and it is refined-sugar free so it doesn't spike my blood sugar either.
Reasons To Love This Smoothie Recipe:
- So easy to make!
- It is decadent and nourishing!
- Dairy-free and vegan!
- Refined-sugar free - only natural sweetness!
- High in protein - all from real food ingredients, no protein powders!
What's in this Cocoa Almond Protein Smoothie?
For this easy smoothie recipe, you will only need a few simple ingredients - which I am sure you already have in your fridge and pantry! The ingredients you will need for this healthy chocolate smoothie are:
- Ice cubes
- Almond milk
- Bananas (fresh or frozen)
- Cocoa powder
- Almond butter
- Dates (pitted)
- Cacao nibs (optional for serving)
How to Make an Almond Smoothie
This Chocolate Almond Protein Smoothie is super simple to make — so easy that it takes less than 5 minutes! Just pop the banana, ice, almond milk, dates, almond butter, and cocoa powder in a blender. Then blend until it is smooth and creamy. You can adjust the amount of almond milk to reach your preferred consistency.
Top the smoothie with a sprinkle of cacao nibs a simple and yummy garnish. And just like that, you have a tasty breakfast or afternoon snack!
Tips for Making a Chocolate Protein Smoothie
You can easily swap out the almond butter for peanut butter for this smoothie if preferred. It tastes just as great!
For a thinner smoothie, add more almond milk to the smoothie mix. And for a thicker texture, add less almond milk.
To ensure your smoothie is refined-sugar free, remember to double-check that you are using unsweetened cocoa powder. Sometimes a lil sugar gets snuck into cocoa powder so always read the ingredients list to be safe.
This chocolate almond butter smoothie recipe serves 2 - 4 people. If you have any leftovers, pour it into jars and freeze them. When you’re ready to eat the frozen smoothie, take it out of the freezer to thaw for a few minutes until it’s drinkable.
More Smoothie Recipes You May Like:
- Vegan Strawberry Almond Smoothie
- Apple Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Beet Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Creamy Coconut Turmeric Smoothie
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think of it over on my Instagram 🙂
Chocolate Almond Protein Smoothie
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 bananas fresh or frozen
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 4 - 6 dates
- cacao nibs for serving
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder plant based or whey
- Place all of the smoothie ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Add some more almond milk if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Pour into serving glasses and add a sprinkle of cacao nibs on top of each smoothie.