A list of the best decaf Starbucks drinks for when you want a delicious caffeine-free boost! If you are looking to cut down on your intake or avoid caffeine completely, all these yummy hot and cold beverages don't contain any caffeine.
Looking for a decaf Starbucks recipe to make at home? Check out my Decaf Cold Brew Iced Coffee recipe.
Decaf Options At Starbucks
Starbucks is primarily known as a coffee shop, which means lots and lots of caffeine. But there are actually many decaf drink options on their menu.
So if you are avoiding caffeine, which is a powerful stimulant, you can still enjoy a trip to Starbucks and have many drink options to choose from.
Helpful Tips for Decaf Orders at Starbucks
There are so many delicious beverages available at Starbucks. Looking at their menu can be overwhelming. So here are some helpful tips for navigating your way through all their yummy options:
Decaf still has some caffeine content
Although it is very small amounts, it is still worth noting that Starbucks Decaf Espresso and Starbucks Decaf Coffee do contain some caffeine. There is about 25 mg of caffeine in a grande size decaf coffee and 12 mg in every shot of decaf espresso.
Starbucks Refreshers contain caffeine
These popular drinks are made with green coffee extract, which has about 35 mg of caffeine in each tall drink. So although they seem like they may be caffeine-free, they are actually off the menu if you are looking for decaf drink options.
Steamers, Herbal Teas, & (most) creme Frappuccinos are caffeine-free
Steamers are like lattes but without any espresso added which makes them decaf. And remember that all the flavor options available for lattes are also available for steamers.
Black tea and green tea contain caffeine, but herbal teas do not. Starbucks has two types of herbal teas you can order: Mint Majesty and Peach Tranquility.
The créme frappuccino options, use a milk base that doesn’t have any coffee in it. It is only the chai and matcha Frappuccinos that contain caffeine.
10 Best Decaf Starbucks Drinks on The Menu
1. White Chocolate Creme Frappuccino
Starbucks hot chocolate does contain some caffeine. But white chocolate is completely caffeine free. So try out their White Chocolate Creme Frap for a delicious decaf order. It is a sweet and creamy blend of white chocolate sauce, milk, and whipped cream.
2. Iced Passion Tango
This yummy, refreshing drink is the perfect substitute for ice tea. Iced Passion Tango is a great caffeine-free drink with an energizing herbal blend of hibiscus and lemongrass. It is hand-shaken with ice and lightly sweetened with lemonade.
3. Caramel Brulee Creme Frappuccino
This decadent caffeine-free drink pretty much doubles as a dessert. The indulgent Caramel Brulee Creme Frap from Starbucks is a blend of Caramel Brulee sauce, milk, and ice all topped with whipped cream and crunchy caramel.
4. Blended Strawberry Lemonade
A refreshing lemonade blended with strawberry and ice, this caffeine-free drink is light and sweet and a perfect Summertime pick-me-up.
5. Cinnamon Dolce Crème Steamer
Steamed milk and Cinnamon Dolce syrup are combined to make this sweet and creamy decaf drink. This beverage is topped with whipped cream and Cinnamon Dolce Sprinkles, which are sweet and slightly salty ground cinnamon bits.
6. Comfort Brewed Wellness Tea
A soothing herbal infusion of lemon, ginger, fennel, licorice root, and mint. This is a perfect no-caffeine pick-me-up. You can also ask the barista to top it with frothed milk if desired.
7. Pistachio Crème Frappuccino
This popular, indulgent non-caffeinated drink is made from milk, creme frappuccino syrup, whipped cream, pistachio syrup, and salted brown butter cookie topping. This is then all deliciously blended together with ice.
Starbucks lemonade is delicious and they have amazing lemonade offerings! Not only can you add a variety of flavors or juices to it, but you can also have it refreshingly frozen for warmer days.
9. Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink
The Iced Guava Passionfruit Drink from Starbucks is a light pink color and is almost too pretty to drink. This yummy non-caffeinated cold beverage is made from guava juice, passion fruit, pineapple, ginger, coconut milk, and ice.
10. Caramel Apple Spice
This yummy Fall-inspired drink is a tasty combination of steamed apple juice, cinnamon syrup, caramel drizzle, and whipped cream. A perfect decaf drink for when the weather starts getting cooler.
Some Caffeine-Free Secret Menu Orders
- Iced Strawberry Milk. Starbucks carries both strawberry puree and milk, so you can order them shaken together with ice to make a customized decaf drink that’s not on the regular menu.
- Water with Strawberry Inclusions. This is a great option to take your hydration up a level. Simply ask for strawberry inclusions, which are freeze-fried strawberries, to be added to your water for some refreshing strawberry-flavored water.
- Iced Apple Juice. Steamed apple juice is on Starbucks menu but not cold apple juice. But you can easily order it with ice.
- Flavored milk. You can make any flavored milk using any of the syrups Starbucks has on offer for their other drinks. You can ask for this simple drink hot or iced.
A Homemade Starbucks Decaf Cold Brew Recipe
- 1 cup decaf cold brew coffee (see notes for recipe)
- ¼ - ½ cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 tbsp sugar/maple syrup/honey/agave syrup (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Fill a serving glass with ice cubes and add the cold brew.
- Add any sweetener and then top with milk of choice.
- Gently stir and enjoy immediately.
How to make Decaf Cold Brew Coffee
To make homemade decaf cold brew you will need: 1 cup finely ground decaf coffee (use your favorite) and 4 cups of filtered water. Then just follow these three easy steps to make your own cold brew:
STEP ONE - Place the coffee grounds in a large jar and gently pour the water over the coffee grounds. Stir the mixture carefully to ensure all the coffee grounds are wet.
STEP TWO - Close the jar and place it on the countertop overnight. Ideally, you want it to sit for about 14-24 hours. The longer you leave it, the stronger the coffee will be so it depends on your own taste.
STEP THREE - Use a fine-meshed bag or nut milk bag to strain the brewed coffee. You can do it more than once to ensure that there are no granules left. Pour the mixture back into the jar and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Some More Homemade Decaf Drink Recipes
- Homemade Korean Strawberry Milk
- Chai Spiced Hot Chocolate
- Cardamom & Rose Latte
- Iced Beetroot Latte with Coconut Milk