An easy recipe for a moist Carrot & Apple Loaf topped with sweet cream cheese frosting. This delicious loaf is full of fresh apples, carrots, pecan nuts, and is perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Why You Will Love This Homemade Apple Carrot Loaf
This simple spiced apple carrot loaf is easy to make and will leave your house smelling delicious. It is made with lots of fresh apples and carrots along with pecan nuts and warm spices.
This sweet, spiced loaf is then topped with creamy frosting that complements the loaf perfectly. It is a deliciously moist loaf that is full of flavor and texture that makes for a perfect sweet treat in the afternoon or as a simple tasty dessert.
If you are looking for more loaf recipes to try, check out my Pumpkin Loaf with Cream Cheese Glaze.
What You Will Need To Make A Moist Carrot Apple Loaf Cake
This loaf is filled with lots of yummy ingredients that are easy to find. It is a simple recipe that uses pantry staple basics along with apples, carrots, and nuts. The ingredients you will need are:
- Butter. Adds richness to the loaf and keeps it moist.
- Packed brown sugar.
- Oil. Vegetable or canola.
- Whole milk.
- Vanilla extract.
- Apples. I used red apples, but any type of apple will work for this loaf.
- Carrots. Fresh grated carrot keeps the loaf moist and gives it delicious flavor and texture.
- Pecan nuts. Can be substituted with walnuts if preferred!
- Baking powder. Gives the loaf a light and soft texture.
- All-purpose flour.
- Ground cinnamon & ground nutmeg. Gives the loaf a delicious spiced taste.
How To Make Spiced Carrot & Apple Loaf
This is a simple loaf recipe that you can make in minutes. It is easy to make and is almost fool-proof. To make this homemade carrot-apple loaf:
- Prepare oven and loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 180C/375F and line a loaf pan with baking paper, leaving an overhang on each side to make it easier to remove the loaf once it has finished baking.
- Cream butter, sugar, and oil. Place the butter, packed brown sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in remaining wet ingredients. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk and continue to mix until well combined.
- Fold in carrots, apples, and nuts. Add the carrots, apples, and pecans and use a wooden spoon to fold them into the batter until just combined.
- Combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix wet and dry together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful to not over mix.
- Add batter to loaf pan. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and use a spoon or spatula to spread the batter out evenly.
- Bake the loaf. Place the loaf in the centre of the oven and bake for 60 - 85 minutes, or until golden and a fork inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Remove the loaf from oven and allow to cool before frosting and serving.
Does Apple Bread need to be refrigerated?
Apple cinnamon bread does not need to be refrigerated. Apple bread will stay fresh for up to 4 days in a sealed airtight container at room temperature. Alternatively, you can freeze your loaf of apple bread in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, remove the loaf from the freezer and allow it to reach room temperature before serving.
Why is my apple bread so dense?
Over-mixing the apple bread batter can result in an overly dense loaf, so be sure to not overmix your batter. It is also important to use fresh baking powder when baking a loaf. Using old baking powder will result in a dense apple bread loaf.
How do you grate carrots for carrot apple cake?
It is best to use finely grated carrots when making carrot cake, as they soften quickly during the baking process. If you prefer more texture in your loaf you can use thicker grated carrots. To grate carrots for carrot cake, select the finest holes on a cheese grater and shred the carrots carefully. Alternatively, attach a shredding blade to a food processor to grate the carrots faster.
More yummy cake recipes to try:
- Ginger Sponge Cake
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Maple Syrup Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Loaf Cake with Caramel Sauce
For the loaf:
- - 120g butter, room temperature
- - 190g packed brown sugar
- - 40 ml vegetable or canola oil
- - 2 eggs
- - 120ml whole milk
- - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- - 160g grated red apples
- - 160g grated carrots
- - 60g pecans, chopped
- - ½ tsp salt
- - 2 tsp baking powder
- - 290g all-purpose flour
- - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- - ½ tsp ground nutmeg
For the frosting:
- - 320g cream cheese, room temperature
- - ¼ cup powdered sugar (add more if desired)
- - 1 tsp vanilla powder/extract
- - ¼ cup chopped pecans (for topping)
For the loaf:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/375F and line the loaf pan with baking paper, leaving an overhang on each side to make it easier to remove the loaf once baked.
2. Place the butter, packed brown sugar, and oil in a mixing bowl. Use an electric beater to whisk the butter until light and creamy.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and milk and continue to mix.
4. Add the carrots, apples, and pecans and mix until just combined.
5. In separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
7. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and spread the batter out evenly.
8. Bake the loaf for 60 - 85 minutes or until golden and a fork inserted comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
1. Place all the ingredients (except the nuts) in a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until soft and fluffy.
2. Once the loaf has cooled, top the loaf with the cream cheese frosting and sprinkle the top with nuts.
3. Serve with a little extra frosting on the side, if desired.
Apple bread will stay fresh for up to 4 days in a sealed airtight container at room temperature.
Alternatively, you can freeze your loaf of apple bread in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, remove the loaf from the freezer and allow it to reach room temperature before serving.
This post was made in collaboration with Le Creuset SA.