A healthy and delicious recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup with coconut milk. This creamy cozy soup is full of nourishing ingredients and warm spices that give it a delicious deep savory flavor.
- Creamy Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
- Ingredients & Substitutions
- How to make Roasted Carrot & Butternut Soup with Coconut Milk
- How to serve Creamy Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
- STORING & FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS:
- RECIPE TIPS & NOTES FOR Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Roasted Carrot & Butternut Soup
- More Delicious Vegan Dinner Recipes:
Creamy Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
This delicious vegetable soup recipe takes soup to the next level. So make a big pot full and serve it with some crusty bread and you are in for a real treat!
This soup has delicious flavor from the roasted vegetables and spices. Roasting the vegetables gives them a deep, caramelized flavor which makes the soup extra rich and satisfying. Combined with the delicious aromatic spices, you have a perfect cozy meal.
The coconut milk gives this soup a creamy texture without making it feel too heavy. This soup recipe is 100% plant-based and vegan, but the coconut milk in it keeps the soup smooth and creamy. No one would ever guess this soup is dairy-free!
Why you will love this soup recipe
- Full of flavor. This soup is anything but bland! The roasted vegetables combined with aromatic spices makes this soup flavorful and satisfying.
- Creamy without any dairy. This soup is made using coconut milk which makes it smooth and creamy while still being light.
- A perfect cozy meal. There's nothing better than bundling up with a big bowl of warm, creamy soup. And this soup is perfect for just that!
- Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. This soup recipe is a great option for anyone who is looking for a vegan and gluten-free soup or meal idea.
- A great meal prep option. Soup is perfect for meal prepping and this recipe can easily be doubled and stored in the fridge or freezer for later enjoyment.
Another delicious vegetable soup recipe to try out is my Creamy Pumpkin & Lentil Soup.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Carrots. Use fresh sweet carrots! You can leave your carrots unpeeled for this soup.
- Butternut. The roasted butternut squash adds lots of creaminess and yummy flavor.
- Onion. A regular white or yellow onion will work for this soup.
- Garlic. The fresh garlic turns soft and sweet when roasted and is a delicious addition.
- Olive oil. Or you can use any other light cooking oil such as avocado oil or pumpkin seed oil.
- Ground ginger. Adds lots of aromatic flavor that blends beautifully with the vegetables.
- Ground turmeric. Adds lots of nutrients, flavor, and gives the soup an even more vibrant color.
- Vegetable broth. Use any kind you like best! If you are not following a vegan diet, you could also use chicken stock.
- Coconut milk. Gives the soup a delicious creaminess and velvety texture,
Do I need to peel butternut squash before roasting?
You can eat the skin of butternut squash, so there is no need to peel it. Once the butternut is cooked the skin should be soft. The skin of the butternut softens during roasting so to prepare it you simply have to halve it, scoop out the seeds, and chop it into chunks to roast it - no need for peeling.
How to make Roasted Carrot & Butternut Soup with Coconut Milk
Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
Place the carrot, butternut, onion, and garlic in a roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ground ginger and ground turmeric.
Mix together and roast for 40 - 50 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and golden.
Remove from the oven and place in a high speed blender.
If your blender does not have a setting for hot contents, allow vegetables to cool slightly before blending.
Add vegetable stock and coconut milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Check for seasoning and adjust if need be.
Serve immediately, or heat the soup further in a pot over medium heat for five minutes. Enjoy warm with fresh parsley as is or with crusty bread.
How to serve Creamy Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
This soup can be enjoyed just as is with no additional toppings or sides, but if you want to add a little something extra to go with your carrot & butternut soup, here are some yummy options:
- Crusty bread
- Fresh herbs
- Pumpkin seeds
- Vegan yogurt
- Flatbreads or pita bread
- Roasted chickpeas
STORING & FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS:
To store the soup: You can store this soup in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop before enjoying!
To freeze the soup: First let the soup cool completely and then transfer it to a freezer-safe container (or multiple small containers for easy meal prep). The soup can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. To enjoy after freezing, first let the soup thaw completely in the refrigerator and then heat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop.
RECIPE TIPS & NOTES FOR Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- Although you could just roast the butternut in halves you get so much more flavor by cubing it. Because of the increased surface area, you’ll get way more ‘roasted’ flavor from your butternut. So definitely take the time to cube your butternut squash!
- I don't think it is necessary to peel carrots when they are going to be blended anyway. So you can leave the peels on your carrots - which helps to cut down on prep time! Just give the carrots a good wash and a quick scrub with a vegetable brush if you have one.
- When prepping your garlic and onion, you can keep the skin of the garlic and the root of the onion. Leaving the peel around the garlic cloves helps to prevent them from burning. And leaving the root ends of the onion keeps the layers from separating and burning while roasting.
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped butternut
- 1 onion, sliced into wedges
- 3 - 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place the carrot, butternut, onion and garlic in a roasting dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with ground ginger and ground turmeric.
- Mix together and roast for 40 - 50 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and golden.
- Remove from the oven and place in a high-speed blender. If your blender does not have a setting for hot contents, allow vegetables to cool slightly before blending.
- Add vegetable stock and coconut milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately, or heat the soup further in a pot over a medium heat.
- Enjoy with fresh parsley as is or with crusty bread.
- You can eat the skin of butternut squash, so there is no need to peel it. The skin of the butternut softens during cooking so simply halve it, scoop out the seeds, and chop it into chunks to roast it.
More Delicious Vegan Dinner Recipes:
I love making healthy, vegan meals that are perfect for busy weeknights. Check out these veggie-packed, nutritious recipe ideas for inspiration!