This crispy parmesan and panko crusted chicken is an easy weeknight dinner recipe. Quick and easy to make, healthy and oh so delicious! Made with a combination of parmesan, panko bread crumbs and dried herbs.
Baked Panko Crumbed Chicken
With only a 10 minute prep time and bake time of 20 minutes, this easy panko chicken tenders recipe is the best family dinner recipe. Make them in the oven or air fryer. Juicy, tender and with a crispy parmesan and panko crust.
What To Serve With Chicken Cutlets
Panko crumbed chicken is a delicious main meal for any time of the year. With a juicy inside and crispy outside, this 20 minute meal is my go-to weeknight dinner. Made with paprika and dried herbs this main meal pairs well with most side dishes.
Make this recipe ahead and serve it with pasta dishes or cut into smaller pieces and serve in a salad.
Side Dish Ideas
- Cheesy Brussel Sprouts - This one-pan cheesy brussel sprout recipe pairs perfectly with this parmesan crusted chicken. Both are quick and easy to make with minimal dishes.
- 20 Vegetable Sides Dishes - Everything from fresh salads to roasted vegetables. This chicken cutlet recipe goes with just about anything.
- Broccoli Avocado Pesto Pasta - Bake panko breaded chicken and cut each cutlet into smaller pieces and serve it with this creamy avocado pesto pasta.
- One Pot Lemon Ricotta Pasta - This is one of my favorite recipes to pair with baked panko chicken. The combination of parmesan and ricotta works beautifully together.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Panko crumbs - Unseasoned bread crumbs are the best to use.
- Parmesan Cheese - Finely grated.
- Chicken Breasts - Ensure the chicken breasts are fairly thin to ensure they cook properly.
- Butter - Melted butter gives the chicken its juicy taste.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Origanum - Substitute with dried basil or mixed italian herbs.
- Black Pepper
- Eggs - This helps the bread crumb mixture stick to the chicken. For an alternative, try using mayonnaise instead.
How To Make Panko Chicken
Combine the panko bread crumbs, parmesan, herbs and seasoning in a small bowl. Whisk it all together to make sure everything is fully combined.
In a seperate bowl whisk the eggs and dip each chicken cutlet in the egg mixture before dipping or coating the chicken with the panko bread mixture.
Place the coated chicken cutlets on a prepared baking sheet and spray or brush each cutlet with olive oil.
Bake the chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Air Fryer Panko Crusted Chicken
Parmesan chicken is a great air fryer meal. It is quick and easy to make and perfect for midweek dinners. To make this recipe in an air fryer, follow the same instructions to coat the chicken.
Then place two chicken breasts in the air fryer at a time and bake fry for 10 minutes at 375 then flip them over and air fry for another 5-10 minutes.
Lemon Panko Chicken
Add a little lemon zest to the crumb coating for a lemon chicken variation. You can also serve any variation of this panko chicken recipe with lemon wedges and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Spicy Panko Chicken
For a spicy chicken recipe, add 1 tsp of chili powder or cayenne pepper to the panko bread crumb mixture. This will give the panko recipe a little kick.
Frequently Asked Questions
Panko bread crumbs are a Japanese style bread crumb. They are extra crunchy and add a lot of crispy-ness to any recipe. They are made from lightly baked coarse breadcrumbs.
Panko bread crumbs are lower in calories, fat and sodium than regular breadcrumbs. This make panko a healthier alternative to using regular breadcrumbs to coat chicken.
To make panko stick to chicken without using eggs, spread mayo on each side of the chicken breasts and top with panko mixture.
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 1 Cup panko crumbs
- ½ Cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried origanum
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the chicken and eggs.
- Dip each chicken breast in the whisked eggs and then dip into the panko mixture.
- Place the crumbed chicken breasts on the baking sheet and top with the leftover panko mixture.
- Use an olive oil spray to lightly spray the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Make sure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF before removing the chicken from the oven.