Nothing beats a delicious, creamy dessert that you can whip up in 6 minutes! This Instant Pot Butterscotch & Caramel Dessert is the the only Instant Pot dessert recipe you'll ever need!
I was gifted an Instant Pot a little while ago, and I'm not going to lie as I started unpacking the box it felt a little daunting. But as I read the instructions and looked up a few recipes I quickly realised that this was probably going to become my new best friend. And man was I right. Everything is genuinely so quick and easy to make in it. And that my friends is NOT an understatement. No matter what you make, from veg, to meat to this darn delicious Instant Pot Butterscotch & Caramel Dessert everything is painless and super quick.
I obviously wanted to make a dessert so I thought I would make something with salted caramel. Mostly because I've been salted caramel obsessed for years. I've also been craving those butterscotch flavours. So I did what any normal person would do and made a dessert with both.
I made a super easy butterscotch pudding that gets popped into your Instant Pot for 6 minutes (jip, that's all folks). I then made my classic salted caramel recipe and drizzled (okay, drenched) it on top.
Instant Pot is available at all @Home stores and online at Yuppiechef, priced at R2,199
Instant Pot Butterscotch & Caramel Pudding
- 3 egg yolks whisked
- ⅓ cup brown sugar I used Natura Sugars Light Demerara
- 1 cup thick cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of salt
For the salted caramel
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp salt
For the Butterscotch Pudding:
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes then lower heat and stir in the cream.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat the whisk in the egg a little at a time. Making sure to constantly whisk (we don't want scrambled eggs).
- Stir the vanilla and salt in and divide the mixture between 2 or 3 glasses/ramekins.
- Select the pressure cooking mode on your Instant Pot and set the time to 6 minutes.
- Once finished allow the pressure to release naturally, then place the desserts in the fridge to set.
For the Salted Caramel Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the sugar and cream.
- Whisk continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring (for about 5 minutes)
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Transfer to a jar to allow to cool
- Spoon caramel sauce over butterscotch pudding just before serving