There's something about that warm spicy pumpkin flavour, it feels like winter and cosy nights by the fire. Combine this with donuts... and well that's just spicy wintery heaven!
I love making desserts with pumpkin, I love the taste, but most of all I love the fact that it's delicious and in a way more like food than dessert... or maybe that's just what I tell myself after eating a whole batch of Cinnamon Pumpkin Donuts. It's just veggies right? ;).
These Cinnamon Pumpkin Donuts are so light and fluffy and remind me so much of those delicious sweet pumpkin fritters my granny used to make. They melt away as you bite into them and leave a delicious spicy "cinnamony" after taste.
I made these with fresh pumpkin puree which I quickly whipped up, it must've taken me not more than 10min and there's something special about the fact that you make it all from scratch.
These Cinnamon Pumpkin Donuts are also gluten free and there is of course a vegan option. Honestly, making them gluten free, I didn't really think they would turn out so soft and fluffy. Often when you use alternative flours, things always seem to come out a bit dry and crumbly. But to my surprise these were really no different to those made with normal refined cake flour, except with slightly less guilt and an even bigger excuse to gobble down the whole batch.
When they were done baking, I dipped them in a TINY bit of coconut oil and then in some cinnamon sugar. It was DELICIOUS. But I missed the glaze and thought I would just quickly whip something together and see if it works. So I simply mixed some melted coconut oil with icing sugar, and added a drop of vanilla extract and bam!... semi healthy glaze!
Cinnamon Pumpkin Donuts
- 1 Cup Brown Rice Flour gluten free.
- ¾ Cup Coconut Flour.
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Oil.
- 1 Cup Milk or Almond Milk.
- 1 tsp Cinnamon.
- ½ tsp Nutmeg.
- 1.2 tsp All Spice.
- ¼ tsp Cloves.
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger.
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar or coconut sugar.
- 1 Large Egg or Flaxegg.
- ½ tsp salt.
- 2 tsp Vanilla.
- 2 tsp Baking Powder.
- ¾ Cup Pumpkin Puree.
- 1 Cup Sugar or Xylitol.
- 1 ½ Tbsp Cinnamon.
- ½ Cup Melted Coconut Oil.
- ¼ Cup Icing Sugar.
- 1 tsp Vanilla.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- With the paddle attachment, mix together the pumpkin, egg, oil, vanilla and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and mix together very slowly until it all comes together.
- Spoon batter into donut pans, until about ¾ full.
- Bake donuts for 12-15 min or until fork/cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
For the Cinnamon Sugar:
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip each donut in a tiny amount of coconut oil and then into the cinnamon sugar.
For the Glaze:
- Mix together the ingredients and then dip each donut into the glaze.